Frugal Living in January – Homemaking On A Budget
There is so much beauty in homemaking when living a frugal lifestyle. Living on a budget doesn’t have to be mundain or boring. There is so much to life outside of over-indulging.
For this video I wrote a poem for you:
“The Everyday Homemaker”
A homemaker’s job is replete with chores,
from laundry to dishes from carpets to floors.
She plans every meal with her family in mind,
and she watches her budget with her nickles and dimes.
She’s planned and shopped to prepare for the week,
knowing full well she has met all their needs.
A homemaker’s job continues without end,
but the joy that it brings I highly recommend!By: Aimee Guess
Please do not use this poem without my permission.
Beautiful Half Apron
The apron I am wearing in this video is new from Target. It’s from the Gingham Woven Waist Apron Ivory/Cream – Hearth & Hand with Magolia. It’s absolutely stunning and easy to wear. I am liking this half aprons from Target because they are so convenient and they don’t pull on my neck like full aprons can do. These aprons are affordable. Use my affiliate link to purchase yours by tapping the photo of the apron.
The blouse worn in this video is from Kohl’s. It’s the Croft & Barrow Print Smocked Peasant Top in Navy Floral. Use my affiliate link to purchase yours by tapping the photo of the blouse.
Lemon Loaf Cake
It’s January, and it is now citrus season for us in California. This is my favorite time of year to pick citrus, slice it, and freeze it for later in the year. I also love to juice lemons and freeze for lemonade during the summer.
Let’s use these beautiful lemons and make a lemon loaf cake.
Vegan Lemon Loaf Cake
- 2 cups white flour 1:1 gluten-free flour works
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup honey or other liquid sweetener
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2/3 cup milk any kind
- 2 Tbsp. lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. lemo juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or grease the pan very well.
- In a large mixing bowl add the dry ingedients. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and whisk until there are no more clumps.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until baked through.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan. You could also keep it in the pan if you'd like.
- Make the icing recipe and pour over the cooled cake. Serve immediately or wait 15 minutes for the icing to set up.
Homemade Lip Gloss – 4 Ingredients
This is my favorite frugal lip gloss recipe and it is so easy to make. All the ingredients can be purchased at a reasonable cost on Amazon. Each tube of lip gloss costs about $.40 per tube. This will be the best lip gloss you have ever used.
Items Needed – Amazon Links (prices may fluctuate):
Coconut Oil: https://amzn.to/3Qva7vv
Cocoa Butter: https://amzn.to/3IF3S6t
Peppermint Essential Oil: https://amzn.to/3QtURis
Lip Balm Tubes: https://amzn.to/3CGyT6h
- 2 Tbsp. beeswax
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa butter
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- Create a double-boiler with a saucepan and glass bowl.
- Add ingredients to the double-boiler, minus the essential oil.
- Put the burner on low-medium and melt the oils together.
- Once the oils are melted, turn off the burner and remove the glass bowl carefully.
- Add the essential oil drops and mix together.
- Use the pipette and add the melted oil into each tube. You should be able to fill 13 tubes.
- The oil will solidify quickly, within 5-10 minutes.
- Let the tubes sit in a cool place for at least a few oils to completely solidify.
White Bean Soup Recipe
For lunch I often enjoy soup and sourdough bread on January days. Today I made my Cheap Red Lentil Soup, but instead of red lentils I used white beans. Soak the dry beans over night in water, then cook the beans in the soup. It takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
You could also add 2-3 cans of drained white beans to create this delicious soup even faster. If lunch stumps you, make a pot of soup at the beginning of the week and eat it for lunch each day. You’ll have something nourishing and healthy everyday.
Remember sweet friends, a homemakers duties are never over, but take delight in the routines of frugal living and be filled with joy.