How To Make Sopes
How To Make Sopes
Sopes are seriously my favorite food! Well, Mexican food is my favorite over all, however sopes rain supreme. My husband had taken me to a meat market in town, and they had a nice little lunch counter. So I decided to try something different, and I ordered sopes.
Friends, it is seriously all of my favorites on one plate! A corn cake, delicious beans and meat, topped with lettuce, cheese, and avocado and sauces! Yum yum yum!
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I do. These corn cakes are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. After eating one, I realized these would also be good dipped in cinnamon/sugar as a dessert. Enjoy!
For the refried beans recipe, check out that post below.
INSTANT POT REFRIED BEANS RECIPE – click link here
- 2 1/2 cups instant corn masa flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- oil for cooking
- In a mixing bowl, add salt and chili powder.
- Heat up water in the microwave for a few minutes, then add to salt and chili powder. Stir until salt dissolves.
- Slowly add in the masa flour. First, start off by whisking it in, then as it gets thicker, switch to a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Once the flour is totally combined, use a 1/4 measuring cup to scoop out the dough. Have a little bowl of water sitting off to the side, and wet your hands to make forming the dough easier.
- Form the dough into a hockey puck shape (1/2 inch thick) and lay on a piece of waxed paper. You will be able to form 12 total.
- Lightly cover the sopes with a towel or more wax paper, and let them sit for 30 minutes to rest.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat, add enough oil to cover the pan, about 1/2 cup of oil.
- Once oil is hot, add 4 sopes at a time to cook. Cook for 4 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook an additional 3 minutes. Do not cover the pan, this will steam the sopes, and we don't want that.
- Once they are done cooking, lay them on a paper towel to get off any access oil. Now just top with some refried beans, meat, lettuce, and your favorite toppings.