Vegan Stove Top Baked Beans
If you are looking for a cheap and easy side dish to throw together last minute, look no further than this vegan stove top baked beans. This is such a delicious side for backyard BBQs or for a quick weeknight dish with corn on the cob and all that summer squash in the garden. You choose, but you won’t be disappointed.
Canned beans can definitely be used, but I typically make a big batch of pinto beans in my instant pot to keep in the freezer. It’s healthier, and you control the sodium. So do what suits you best, but whatever you choose won’t change the flavor.
These beans taste like they’ve been cooking all day, but it just takes minutes to put together. I hope you enjoy this quick and easy side dish!
Stove Top Baked Beans
- 6 cups cooked pinto beans or 4 (15oz) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup veggie broth or bean juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar or you could use honey
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke (optional)
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large sauce pan, then add chopped onion. Let the onion brown a bit (if your onions stick add a little broth or water to them), then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring everything to a boil, then lower the heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Take the lid off, and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Once you reach a thick baked beans consistency, they are done.
- ***Note: to amp up the flavor even more, add 1/2 cup crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits. It's really good!!!